Native Advertising Solves Display Ad Problems
Ad Age published a post stating that close to 50% of online ads aren’t ever seen. The post was vague about precisly which ads it was referring to (display, instream, search, etc.), but we can make some guesses at what’s going on here, what’s not working, and why native advertising is taking over:
- Display ads are commoditized, cheap and easy. No one’s really checked if they work — if display ads are amounting to real, branded engagement, awareness, and bottom-line boosting conversions. Everyone stares at their click through rate (CTR) and prays it’s at least above average. When it is, the customer is happy but this prompts more ads.
- Most advertisers don’t really know what they’re doing. Many brands put out a massive amount of re-targeting ads at a PPC price, proceed to let them run amok on low quality sites, and at below-the-fold placements.
- Visitors have trained themselves to ignore display ads. We consume so much online content these days that everyone is trained to look in the usual places for the content and avoid the places where display ads lie (side rail).
- Visitors have trained themselves to multi-task. It used to be that an instream ad guaranteed a view. Now, a visitor can open a new tab or window, write an email, text a friend, and check back in 30 seconds later to watch their original video.
What’s The Solution?
- Work Every Channel. Create great advertising with a multifaceted plan through multiple media channels including video, Twitter, Facebook, native advertising, and branded content. The Old Spice Campaign hit every aspect of this and blew it out of the water.
- Go Native. Whatever you want to call it, native advertising is taking off. Mashable debates whether the term is just another way to describe good advertising. For some channels and publishers, it means a native format that’s templated. Buzzfeed consistently creates some of the best native advertising (which in this case is also branded content). Buzzfeed is now scaling up with a full-blown native advertising network.
- Market Through Influencers. Inherently native, influencer marketing is nothing new, but the space and scale have changed dramatically now that marketers can reach massive audiences through Twitter influencers, YouTubers, bloggers, Tumblrs, Instagramers, and every other social channel. Influencers have a profound impact on their audience because their audiences turn directly to them as lifestyle informants, trend setters, and tastemakers.
If you want your ad to be seen, build a native advertising strategy and marketing campaign that ensures premium visibility and ultimately, work with the right channels and brand influencers that will drive maximum viewer engagement.