19-year-old influencer Micah Couwenhoven, known by his handle, @micahcow, was always drawn to video editing, but he had no idea how far his talent would take him. His short, comedic lip-sync videos feature eye-popping transitions quickly rocketed him to TikTok stardom. He currently has 5.2 million followers on the platform and has partnered with corporate giants including LG, Cash App, Netflix, and Amazon. His TikTok success has led to video features with popular stars like Liza Koshy, Addison Rae, Charli D’Amelio, and the Croes brothers.
Find out where his creative flair and unique collaborations are taking him next in his exclusive interview with Mediakix.
1. You are known for your incredible editing tricks and transitions. How did you discover your talent for video editing?
I’ve always been interested in filming and always since I was in middle school would create little edits and make funny videos. Just after graduation I decided to actually take it serious and see where it could take me. TikTok came out and I just started posting edits that I learned and people loved them.
2. How long did your first viral “60%” video (35 million+ views) take to edit?
That video took about 3 hours to edit.. but the long part was trying to contact the big creators to send a video clip to me so I could start and just doing that took around 2 weeks!
3. Most of your transition masterpieces contain the same XXXTENACION sound, is there a significance behind its repetitive use for your transition videos?
Yeah, once we started using it and people starting to realize that was the main song they started to get more hype for it because me and Corey specifically chose that song because it was a hype song and people loved it in the end.
4. It’s been over a year since your first collab video with fellow transition influencer Corey Whelan (@threedotcorey). What are a few ways this consistent partnership has helped you grow as a creator?
Corey really brought out some new creativeness in me and us brainstorming together was really fun because a good idea bounced to another great idea and so on. People love seeing us together because of our energy together and what we bring to the videos.
5. How many drafts do you have in TikTok?
Since I like my videos high quality I don’t have a lot like the average TikToker, but I do mess around and have like 50 drafts.
6. What is the craziest transition you have seen on TikTok?
There’s a lot of crazy ones but one showed a guy was on a bridge and dropped his phone off the bridge and transitions into a car and catches it.
7. You have mentioned you use Adobe Premiere as one of your main editing tools, what are two other go-to video editing apps/software you like to use? (besides using TikTok’s editing tools)
Adobe is my primary but I would say if I had to use anything else it would be Final Cut Pro.
8. How do you decide which brands to partner with? What values are most important to you in a brand partnership?
When I work with a brand I like to have a lot of creative freedom so I can make the best content I can make without it looking like an ad. So creative freedom is a big thing for me.
9. Of all the brands you’ve partnered with so far (Netflix, Revlon, Cash App, Amazon, etc.) which partnership are you most proud of and why?
I think Amazon is my biggest accomplishment because first it’s AMAZON! I would have never thought I could work for them to help promote them. Also I would say Under Armour too just because I grew up playing sports all the time and wearing their brand and now I’m working with them.
10. Anything else you would like to add for your readers to know about you?
I mean last year was probably the best biggest year of my life but me and Corey and just myself have a lot of cool things coming in the future!