Known for her hanging tongue and disarming gaze, Lil BUB has melted the hearts of everyone on Instagram. As a social media influencer, Lil BUB is followed by 1.6 million users on Instagram who are on the lookout for a daily dose of cute. Lil BUB’s Instagram account is filled with adorable pictures, silly videos, and the occasional brand partnership.
We chat with Lil BUB’s owner, Mike Bridavsky, to learn more about her and how he’s leveraged social media to transform his pet into a superstar.
1. When and how did you meet BUB?
I met BUB on September 5th, 2011. My good friend sent me a photo of her via text and said, “You need to meet this cat. She’s perfect for you”. So I met her and took her home about 15 minutes later.
2. How did you decide to create an Instagram account for her? When did you realize that she could be a star?
At the suggestion of an internet-savvy friend, I started posting BUB photos to a Tumblr blog called the BUBLOG only a month after bringing her home. When Instagram first became available on Andriod in March of 2012, I started an account for her on there as well because it was a perfect medium for posting cat photos. This was in the very early years of the app, long before the term “Instafamous” was used.
3. What is your creative process in developing posts for BUB?
That would be a question for BUB. I just do what she says.
4. What are some important causes that BUB represents?
We’ve always been big supporters of adoption, spaying, and neutering, and caring for special needs pets. In 2014, we partnered with the ASPCA to create Lil BUB’s Big FUND, the first national fund for special needs pets.
5. How do you decide which brands to partner with on BUB’s account?
There are a number of variables that factor into this decision, but one of the most important is if it’s a brand/product that we would use and support ourselves. We also consider if there is a charitable aspect to the campaign.
6. What are some surreal experiences or adventures you’ve had since BUB rose to fame?
To be honest, there are too many to list, but off the top of my head:
7. Lightning round:
Bub’s favorite toy?
Does Bub have any hidden talents?
Clairvoyance, Time Travel, Teleportation, Telekenisis, Levitation
8. Do you have any advice for aspiring pet influencers or social media influencers in general?
My advice to any influencers, particularly pet influencers is simply to focus on content and messaging, and to read your agreements carefully.
9. Where do you see BUB’s Instagram account in the future? Any future plans her fans can get excited about?
I see her account being viewed on the most technologically advanced devices of that time.
As for future plans, we’re excited about a Christmas Movie that BUB will be starring in called I’ll Be Next Door for Christmas. We’re also excited about our new Knit “Ugle” Christmas Sweaters that we’re announcing soon.