For the latest authoritative marketing news, trends, and stats on social media stars and influencer marketing, subscribe to our industry digest newsletter!
Instagram vs Snapchat: The Battle For Best Social Media Marketing Platform [Infographic]
In 2013, Facebook unsuccessfully offered to acquire Snapchat for $3 billion. One year earlier, Facebook successfully purchased Instagram for $1 billion. Although Snapchat is a relative newcomer to the world of social media platform stalwarts, the vanishing photo/video messaging app has quickly proved its worth to both huge audiences and brands. As the veteran, Instagram brings a host of tried-and-true, beloved user features, a maturing native advertising platform, and the highest engagement rate for brands on social. While many may surmise that Instagram and Snapchat are one in the same (they both offer similar features, user experiences, marketing potential, etc.), the social media platforms actually have stark differences.
For brands deciding on which platform or channel is better for their social media marketing campaigns, we’ve compiled a side-by-side comparison of the most salient differences between Instagram vs Snapchat. To learn more about the growth of each, see our most impressive statistics and trends on Instagram vs Snapchat.
Instagram vs Snapchat: A Side-By-Side Features Comparison
[Tweet “Infographic: Instagram vs Snapchat—A Side-By-Side Features Comparison”]
Instagram vs Snapchat Infographic Download
Click to Download Infographic
Instagram Features & Differences:
- Can be time-consuming to post
- Easy to discover new content and/or users
- Can post content (photo, videos) at a later time
- Content is curated
- Instagram represents each user/channel’s “highlight reel” or best photos
- Artistic and photo filters can be applied; users can geotag each photo or video’s location
- No animation available
- Can discover new content through hashtags, geotags
- Shared content is designed to be permanent
- Users can include a URL link in their profile
- Videos can be up to 60 seconds in length
- Everyone can see views, likes, and comments
- Users have the ability to direct message other users
Snapchat Features & Differences:
- Facilitates easy, on-the-go sharing
- In order to follow another user, you must know their username
- Content is posted in real-time
- Content is candid
- Snapchat represent’s a user’s “day-in-the-life” or behind the scenes look
- Users can add text, draw, and add geolocation overlays (“geofilters”)
- Users can add animation effects of videos and photos with “filters”
- No content discovery tools or hashtags
- Content shared disappears within 24 hours
- No outbound linking available
- Each video capture lasts up to 10 seconds
- The number of views, screenshots, and comments are private
- Users can chat others and/or send expiring images directly as messages
Also See Our Posts On:
How Many People Use Snapchat?
Instagram Case Study: How Sonic’s #Squareshakes Conquered Coachella
How To Find Snapchat Influencers
What Is Instagram Influencer Marketing?