Instagram Influencer Marketing Case Study: Influencers #TravelAway With Affordable Luggage Brand, Away
Travel brand, Away, has been hugely successful at disrupting the luggage industry with its direct-to-consumer suitcases and travel goods. After a recent Series D investment round, the New York-based baggage enterprise was valued at an estimated at $1.4 billion.
Away has taken several novel approaches to enlivening a stale and steady marketplace. One of these has been its use of influencer marketing, which has given the brand a strong following on social media. A finalist for the Shorty Awards Best Overall Instagram Presence two years in a row, Away’s Instagram account is now approaching half a million followers.
Away Influencer Marketing Packs Its Bags With Travel-Savvy Instagrammers
Away’s influencer collaborations have also inspired a stream of user-generated content, adding to more than 58,000 Instagram posts tagged with #TravelAway.
- Raise awareness around the Away brand and its line of luggage and travel accessories.
- Encourage engagement and user-generated content through Away influencer marketing posts.
- Channel – Instagram
- Influencers – Away influencer marketing worked with travel, lifestyle, and fashion personalities from around the world. Of the 13 influencers sampled, two were male and 11 were female. Seven were mid-tier influencers, while five were micro-influencers, and one was a macro-influencer.
- Backdrops for the sampled posts ranged from outdoor destinations, to hotel rooms, to transportation spots and beyond.
- Away’s products took center stage in some of the posts, while others incorporated the luggage in a more subtle way.
- Twelve of the Away influencer marketing posts were single-photo, while one was a multi-image post that included a video.
- All but one influencer tagged @away in their posts, and the majority denoted sponsorship via hashtags #ad and/or #sponsored, with a few using the more vague term “gifted.”
- #TravelAway was the dominant campaign hashtag, while a small number of influencers used #awaytravel and one influencer used #travelwithaway.
Combined Results [13 sampled posts]
- Instagram followers targeted: 1,691,100
- Likes: 58,089
- Comments: 1,090
- Engagement rate (overall average): 5.22%
Phil Cohen Lays Out His Stylish Travel Wardrobe
Art director and style aficionado, Phil Cohen, is a 2017 Shorty Awards fashion nominee with 747,000 followers on Instagram. One of two male influencers in the campaign, Cohen was the only macro-influencer and the most-followed Instagram personality of those sampled.
In his trademark aesthetic, Cohen’s #TravelAway post featured Away’s The Weekender bag among a neatly-organized layout of clothing. Describing some of the bag’s hidden features in the caption, Cohen referred followers to his Stories and the link in his bio for more details.
Cohen’s post received 11,354 likes and 98 comments, generating an engagement rate of 1.53%. The image simultaneously yielded the most likes and lowest engagement rate among the sampled posts.
Hegia de Boer Brings Her Followers On A Journey
The Netherlands-based, Hegia de Boer is a mid-tier influencer who broadcasts to 96,700 followers on Instagram. With a background in architecture, Hegia offers classical design and fashion content throughout her meticulously-curated feed.
Hegia also highlighted The Weekender duffle in her #TravelAway post, featuring two images and one video. The sequenced portrait showcased the bag in different settings and situations, making the content play like a mini-travelog.
With an impressive 10,585 likes, Hegia’s post received the most comments in the campaign at 261, and had the highest engagement rate at 11.22%.
Fatima Abdallah Highlights Travel Ease and Versatility
New York-based Fatima Abdallah is a mid-tier fashion and lifestyle influencer who offers more than just trendsetting images to her 111,000 Instagram followers. A social advocate, Fatima encourages fans to “embrace what makes you different” in her bio, while also including a fundraising link to aid Syrian refugees.
Fatima’s #TravelAway post also featured Away’s The Weekender bag. Pictured at a train station with an on-the-go vibe, Fatima’s post is an organic-feeling alternative to some of the other more polished and stylized photos from the campaign. In her caption, Fatima also departs from highlighting the duffle’s material features in favor of recommending the bag for various kinds of journeys and travel.
With 3,161 likes and 41 comments, Fatima’s post garnered an engagement rate of 2.88%.
Bayley Junes And Oly Take to the Road
Bayley June Stevenson—Bayley Junes on Instagram—is a lifestyle photographer and videographer based in the Pacific Northwest. With 17,100 fans to her Instagram, Bayley June was had the least number of followers among sampled influencers.
For her #TravelAway post, Bayley June snapped a photo of a traveling companion next to an Away duffle bag in the back of her Volkswagen Westfalia. Mentioning how much she enjoyed road-tripping with others (and her Vanagon “Oly”), Bayley Junes ended her caption by crediting The Weekender with helping her to stay organized.
While Bayley Junes was the least-followed Instagrammer for Away’s influencer marketing campaign, the lifestyle influencer received 1,228 likes and 27 comments, which produced a higher-than-average engagement rate of 7.34%.
- Away influencer marketing has found a way to turn product photos into captivating content.
- Campaigns with a strong theme can utilize a wide range of influencers without seeming unfocused or wayward.
- The size of an influencer isn’t necessarily indicative of the number of likes or comments a post will receive.
- Posts that tell a story have the potential to create higher engagement.