Quick Look: What Is Periscope Live Streaming App?
Periscope Live Streaming App 101
Digital media is growing at unprecedented rates -- in 2014 alone, digital media siphoned over $1B in ad dollars from traditional TV networks. With the debut of Periscope this May, we may be nearing the apex of social sharing. Periscope is a Twitter-developed app that lets users live-stream through their Twitter account to whoever wants to watch. The broadcasts are in real time but can also be watched at a later time. Not only does this revolutionize how we interact with each other, and those around the world, but also how brands can work with social media influencers to effectively communicate with target audiences, generate buzz and awareness, and successfully engage with consumers online.
- Twitter officially launches Periscope on March 26, 2015
- Periscope is available for iOS and Android platforms
- Periscope hits 1M users during its first 10 days of launch
- 10 million users are now using Periscope live streaming to watch 40 years' worth of content each day
What Is Periscope And How Does It Work?
Periscope is a video app that allows users to communicate through live-stream to their viewers. Acquired by Twitter in March 2015, it has become the main player in video broadcast and the newest social media sensation. Periscope’s user experience is streamlined. On the streaming side, users provide a description for their broadcast and begin recording. Periscope allows users to automatically tweet their video as well as save it to be viewed later. Once the broadcasting is live, viewers can send one-way text messages and “heart” stream.
5 Best Tips For Using Periscope Live Streaming Effectively
- Choose a captivating headline that will attract viewers. Take advantage of your headline by utilizing hashtags which allow for discovery through Twitter. Also be sure to accurately describe your headline to ensure user retention.
- Use other social channels to promote the live stream. Twitter and other adjoining social media platforms can be leveraged to create more buzz around Periscope events. Promote the broadcast throughout all social media channels, and build an audience prior to the live streaming event.
- Communicate with your audience. Periscope is conducive for one-on-one engagement therefore providing great opportunities for Q&As and gaining valuable insight on brand perception directly from the consumer.
- Provide exclusive content opportunities that are engaging, relevant, and exciting. Gain a positive response from viewers and consumers by giving an “insider’s view," whether it’s a behind the scenes look, or an intimate FAQ session. By using Periscope, companies can also get real-time feedback on what is (or is not) working for brands.
- Form your strategy around Periscope’s end of stream reporting. At the end of each broadcast, users can view quick statistics on the number of viewers, those retained, and the length of the average user which is helpful to gauge the quality of content and effectiveness of engagement.
Periscope vs. Meerkat
Periscope currently has one primary adversary, Meerkat. At the surface level, both live video streaming apps appear to be the same but each has subtle nuances that can mean the difference between leading the world of social media streaming, or fading into obscurity. Comparisons and trends between the two have suggested that Periscope is on top, based on overall user experience. Periscope’s interface is cleaner and more intuitive. However, with Meerkat’s recent update, which was unveiled in July at VidCon 2015, users can now integrate the app with their GoPro. This is great news for adventurers, avid travelers, and an emerging marketing opportunity for the brands seeking to engage with activity enthusiasts.
A few notable features to consider when comparing Periscope vs. Meerkat:
- Periscope users can connect through Twitter to use for discovery.
- Meerkat enables users to connect with Facebook.
- Periscope alerts users when someone followed goes live.
- Meerkat lets users schedule their streams.
- Periscope’s streams are instant. Meerkat's streams include a 30-second delay.
- Meerkat allows broadcasters to approve a cameo for up to 60 seconds on their own live-stream.
How Are Brands Using Periscope?
Early adopters like Red Bull, Mountain Dew, Spotify, and DKNY are using Periscope live streaming app to leverage their social media fan base. Brands can strategize live streaming to drive engagement with innovative ideas that drive audience participation. Within a week of Periscope's launch, Mountain Dew ran a test giveaway to reward fans for viewing the live stream. After the three minute stream, fans comment on Mountain Dew’s official Twitter to receive items featured in the broadcast.
Also See Our Posts On:
August 11, 2015 By Evan