Subscribe to our industry digest newsletter: the latest authoritative marketing news, trends, and stats on social media stars.
11 Female Gamer Statistics That Illustrate The Shifting Demographics Of The Gaming Industry
UPDATE January 9, 2018 — American consumers spent an astounding $36 billion on video games in 2017. The gaming industry has grown significantly in the past few years, in part due to the rise of mobile games, virtual reality, YouTube gaming videos, and livestream gaming platforms like Twitch and Caffeine. Games are now more accessible than ever, and can be played on mobile, PC, and console.
The rise of gaming has also been accompanied by a notable increase in female gamers. Today, marketers have the opportunity to reach women of all ages in a category originally dominated by men.
See the 11 female gamer statistics relevant to marketers today:
- Women make up 45% of U.S. gamers.
- 30% of U.S. gamers are women between the ages of 18 and 35.
- 33% of the U.S. gaming community consists of adult females.
- The average female gamer is 36 years-old.
- Females comprise 30% of YouTube Gaming audiences.
- 2/3 of female gamers watch YouTube Gaming content to relate to other people.
- 1/3 of female gamers will pay to play mobile games.
- 60% of female mobile gamers play daily.
- 39% of female gamers seek family or friend advice when looking for new video games.
- Nearly 70% of match 3 and simulation game players are women.
- 21 million users are subscribed to YouTube's top 10 female gamers.