Subscribe to our industry digest newsletter: the latest authoritative marketing news, trends, and stats on influencer marketing and related topics!
The Most Important TikTok Statistics
Remember Musical.ly? How about Vine? It’s hard to keep up with the constantly changing social media landscape as some apps excel, others merge, and even more die out. As non-members of the Gen Z and Millennial generations, it’s even harder to keep it all straight.
If you do remember Musical.ly, you may recall that in August 2018, it rebranded as TikTok after being acquired by Chinese company ByteDance the year before. And Vine? That app suffered a slow death, causing users to feel the dejection of media abandonment. But TikTok has stirred up a revival of short video clips—only now, it’s even more interactive, collaborative, and downright addictive.
TikTok has surged in popularity, surpassing the likes of Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Snapchat in monthly App Store installs and Q4 2018 worldwide downloads. While the app doesn’t appear to differ much from other looping, short-form video-sharing apps, TikTok has enticed and captivated consumers with a proclivity for binge-watching video content.
In addition, brands are capitalizing on the app’s remarkable success to launch influencer marketing campaigns with top TikTok creators. As TikTok expands into the influencer marketing arena, marketers ought to know the 13 TikTok statistics shaping the world’s hottest app:
- TikTok was downloaded more than 660M times in 2018.
- TikTok is more popular on Android than iOS.
- More than 500 million people globally use TikTok monthly
- 26.5 million of the 500 million monthly active users are from the U.S.
- TikTok’s user base is largely based in India at 43% of all users.
- 66% of users are younger than 30-years-old.
- Users typically spend around 52 minutes per day on the app.
- 80% of TikTok’s sessions are on Android devices.
- In-app purchases increased by 275% year-over-year.
- 29% of monthly users open TikTok every day.
- The #RaindropChallenge has over 685.7 million views on TikTok.
- Jimmy Fallon’s #TumbleweedChallege created 8,000 videos with over 9 million views in seven days.
- There are more than 5 million #InMyFeelings challenge videos on TikTok compared to 1.7 million on Instagram.