For the latest authoritative marketing news, statistics, and trends on social media stars, content creators, and influencer marketing, subscribe to our industry digest newsletter!
The 13 Biggest Facebook Video Statistics Marketers Need To Know For 2018
UPDATE September 18, 2018 — Facebook continues to double-down on video to keep pace with increased:
- User consumption of digital video
- User adoption of Live video and video updates on Stories
- Output of branded video from advertisers
- Data points that demonstrate high user engagement with video
In the interest of keeping this post as current as possible, we’ve updated the following statistics to reflect the newest information available.
Facebook continues to grow, as do its video initiatives. In its Q4 2017 earnings call, the company announced its ongoing dedication to video in the next three years and drew particular attention to Facebook Watch and the launch of Watch Party, a feature which allows for shared viewing. It also announced updates to its video recommendations in order to “encourage meaningful interactions.” The changes have reportedly significantly decreased time spent on the platform.
Digital video is booming. Globally, traffic from online videos will constitute over 80% of all consumer internet traffic by 2020 (Cisco). By 2019, the total U.S. digital video advertising spend is projected to eclipse $14 billion—nearly 50% of that figure ($6.86 billion) is attributed to mobile video. And shortly after Facebook launched its livestreaming video platform "Facebook Live," The New York Times shared the following insight:
Videos represent a potentially transformational form of journalism because they let stories unfold organically, live, and with the audience able to change the experience.
Both Facebook Live and Video have greatly impacted how we consume and deliver content on the largest social media network.
See the biggest Facebook video statistics below:
- 1 out of 5 Facebook videos is a Live video.
- Facebook's new algorithm has reduced user time on the platform by 50 million hours per day.
- 2.5 billion people use a Facebook app.
- 47% of total ad recall happens in the first 3 seconds of a video ad.
- Facebook Live videos are watched 3x longer than standard videos.
- Facebook video posts have increased by 94% within a year.
- Users rack up 8 billion daily views watching Facebook videos.
- 85% of videos are played without sound.
- Facebook paid $50+ million to influencers and publishers to promote video features.
- 89% of all Facebook ad revenue is from mobile.
- Facebook videos have increased 360% in newsfeed updates.
- Branded Facebook videos earn on average a 13% organic reach and 6% engagement rate.
- 100 million hours of Facebook videos are watched daily.