Case Study: Headspace Marketing Taps Influencers To Flex Mental Health
For the latest influencer marketing news, resources, and case studies, subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Instagram Influencer Marketing Case Study: Headspace Helps Lifestyle Influencers Alleviate Holiday Hecticness
In an era when emails, texts, updates, and other notifications keep the world moving ad nauseam, meditation apps like Headspace are leveraging technology to help people become more mindful and present. Launching in 2010, Santa Monica-based Headspace’s stated mission is to “improve the health and happiness of the world.” As part of a strategy to make sure its mindfulness message is heard, Headspace has collaborated with lifestyle influencers in areas such as health, fitness, and style.
In 2019, nearly two-thirds of marketers are increasing their influencer marketing budgets. However, as the space becomes more crowded, audiences risk experiencing influencer fatigue. For brands looking to rise above the clutter, a new kind of mindfulness will be required when designing and launching influencer campaigns.
Instagram Influencer Households Tout The Value And Virtues Of Headspace’s Family Plan
A growing interest in self-care and wellness has made practices such as meditation more popular and palatable. With the advent of smartphones, companies like Headspace have met this enthusiasm with a delivery system that’s both convenient for the consumer and effective for its company mission.
While Headspace is free to download from the Apple App Store or Google Play, the company also offers paid subscription services with added features. For their recent campaign with lifestyle influencers, Headspace marketing focused on the company’s new family plan.
- Share personal accounts from influencers who use the Headspace app.
- Promote Headspace as a strategy for staying mindful.
- Introduce Headspace’s family plan and encourage households to try it.
- Channel: Instagram
- Influencers: Mid-tier influencers in areas such as lifestyle, health, and wellness.
Preview of Influencers
- @xo.rachelpitzel - 551,000 followers
- @glamdapper - 498,000 followers
- @michelesullivanfit - 353,000 followers
- @tiffanyish - 310,000 followers
- @ministylehacker - 302,000 followers
- @scoutthecity - 299,000 followers
- @asliceopi - 239,000 followers
- @paosfitworld - 157,000 followers
- @claireguentz - 155,000 followers
- @uptownwithellybrown - 101,000 followers
- In-Feed Posts: Each sampled influencer from the Headspace marketing campaign created two sponsored posts.
- Family Forward: Each post was single-image and featured the influencer with other family members.
- Personal Messaging: Captions tended to be long-form, reflective, and personal.
- Family Plan: Many of the influencers promoted Headspace’s family plan.
- Holiday Destressing: Influencers’ captions talked about how they used the app to destress during the holidays.
- Instagram followers targeted: 2,971,000
- Likes: 117,536
- Comments: 2,170
- Engagement rate (overall average): 2.01%
Rachel Pitzel Keeps Calm While Balancing A Busy Schedule
Rachel Pitzel is an influencer, blogger, and businesswoman who’s the founder of Club MomMe. With 551,000 followers on Instagram, Pitzel was one of only two macro-influencers on this particular Headspace marketing campaign.
Pitzel’s post, featuring her and her daughter in front of wintertime decorations, was the most-liked piece of content during the campaign. In her personalized caption, Pitzel wrote about holiday business, never-ending to-do lists, and her highly active brain. Offering that Headspace helped her with patience and focus, the mommy influencer promoted the app’s family plan and encouraged her followers to give it a try.
Pitzel’s post generated 20,086 likes and 134 comments, resulting in an engagement rate of 3.67%.
Rosanna Of Glam Dapper Finds A Way To Relax During The Holidays
New York-based style influencers, Rosanna and Winston—better known as Glam Dapper to their 516,000 followers—were just above the mid-tier influencer threshold during the Headspace marketing campaign. The couple’s top performing post yielded the highest number of comments.
Featuring Rosanna lying happily with a dog dressed in a sweater and bow, the image caption made mention of how the holidays can affect one’s schedule and mind. As a strategy for unwinding and relaxing, Rosanna communicated to her followers how Headspace’s “app exercises” helped with mindfulness and daily duties.
With 5,384 likes and 398 comments, Glam Dapper’s post achieved an engagement rate of 1.16%.
Paola Marquez Extols The Benefits Of Mental Fitness
Venezuelan-born fitness influencer, Paola Marquez, is the creator of Pao’s Fit World—a blog offering tips and tricks around health and wellness. Sharing a blend of exercise and lifestyle posts with her 155,000 followers on Instagram, Marquez is focused on helping women to achieve a happy and healthy life.
Marquez’s post shows her with her husband reading on a couch. In her caption, Marquez talks about activities they engage in to destress, including meditation. Marquez went on to promote Headspace’s new family plan, ending her endorsement with, “Believe me… You won’t regret it!”
Marquez’s post garnered 5,311 likes and 63 comments, generating an engagement rate of 3.47%.
- Promoting the app with influencers who use their meditation service made Headspace’s marketing campaign natural and authentic.
- Messaging a targeted audience during a relevant time helped the posts resonate strongly.
- While images and video on Instagram often take center stage, the influencers’ long-form captions in the Headspace marketing campaign gave posts a more personal feel.
- Macro-influencers have the ability to reach a wide and engaged audience.
April 24, 2019 By Mediakix Team