How Snapchat Demographics Are Shifting In 2019 [Infographic]
For the latest news and trends on top Snapchatters, YouTubers, Instagrammers, & bloggers, subscribe to our industry digest newsletter!
10 Snapchat Demographics Every Brand Should Know In 2019 [Infographic]
UPDATED March 21, 2019—Snapchat has experienced consistent growth quarter-over-quarter, with its overall growth rate stagnating thanks to, in large part, the introduction of Instagram Stories. Instagram Stories userbase has already twice the amount of users than that of Snapchat's total users with 500 million and 200 million users respectively. While Snapchat remains wildly popular with young social media users—over 78% of Americans 18-24-years-old are Snapchatters—what’s more revealing is how Snapchat is now beginning to proliferate quickly among older demographics.
As our Snapchat infographic illustrates, over 50% of new Snapchat users are over the age of 25, and the percentage growth of those aged 35 years and older is actually greater than the penetration rate for 18- to 24-year-olds. As Snapchat expands and the messaging app's user base evolves, brands should note Snapchat's broadening user demographics and alter their marketing efforts to appeal to a changing, aging audience.
For companies looking to develop a Snapchat marketing strategy, it's important to realize that like Facebook and Instagram before it, the app's demographics are beginning to skew older as Snapchat becomes integrated into mainstream culture and a broader range of users acclimate to Snapchat's functionality and features.
2019 Snapchat demographics marketers need to know:
- Snapchat declined 0.3% in daily active users YoY.
- 3 billion Snaps are sent each day on Snapchat.
- The average Snapchatter sends 34 direct messages a day through the app.
- The average user spends 30+ minutes a day on Snapchat.
- 78% of Americans ages 18-24-year-old use Snapchat.
- 83% of teens use Snapchat monthly.
- 45% of teens say that Snapchat is their favorite platform.
- Snapchat has more American 12-17-year-olds users than Facebook or Instagram.
- Since the Snapchat redesign, 30% more users are now watching Publisher content.
- 70% of users ages 13-34-years-old watch premium video ads monthly.
Snapchat Demographics For Marketers
1. Snapchat Has Had A 0.3% Decline In Daily Active Users Year-Over-Year
Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel announced in February of 2019 that Snapchat has consistently experienced a year-over-year 0.3% decline of daily actives on the app. Company controversy over its IPO filing and the introduction of Instagram Stories is largely to blame for the app's stagnant nature.
2. Snapchat Users Share Over 3 Billion Snaps A Day
Snap Inc. revealed that its user base is collectively sending over 3 billion Snapchats in a single day through the app. To further perspective, there are only 2.7 billion smartphone users globally.
3. The Average Snapchat User Sends 34 Messages A Day
Snapchat Inc. facilitates over 6.3 billion snap messages a day, with the average user sending 34 messages daily. For perspective, TextRequest.com estimates Americans send around 94 text messages a day. This finding reveals significant information on how users are spending time within the app as the average user sends more than double the amount of Snapchat messages than pictures.
4. Snapchatters Spend 30+ Minutes A Day On The App
The Snapchat community spends an average of 30 minutes on Snapchat each day and will check the app at least 18 times during the day. For users over 25, Snapchat is used 12 times a day taking up 20 minutes of the day.
5. 78% Of 18-24-Year-Old Americans Have Snapchat
78% of Americans 18-24-years-old are on Snapchat, by far the largest segment of Snapchat users. Statista estimates Snapchat's total North American userbase at nearly 80 million users. Not surprisingly, baby boomers are the weakest demographic on the app with only 3.8 million users on the platform this year.
6. 83% Of Teens Check Snapchat Monthly
A Marketing Charts survey found that 83% of American teens use Snapchat on a monthly basis, with 82% of their teenage respondents using Instagram monthly.
7. More Than 45% Of Teenagers Say That Snapchat Is The Most Important Social Media Platform
Snapchat continues to be the big winner with teens as a recent survey revealed 45% of teens believe it is the most important social app. Back in 2016, a survey of 6,500 U.S. teens found that 28% named Snapchat as their most important social network, growing from 13% two years ago. Snapchat’s importance to teens can be attributed to the dominance of messaging apps in later years.
8. Snapchat Has Notably More Teen Users Than Instagram Or Facebook
Snapchat estimates that 16.4 million US 12-17-year-olds are on the app. This number is significantly higher than Facebook's presence for the age group at 11.5 million, as well as Instagram's teen userbase at 12.8 million.
9. Publisher Stories Viewing Has Increased 30% Following Redesign
Snapchat reported at its latest earnings call that following the app's recent redesign and product improvements, 30% more people are now watching Publisher Stories and Shows every day compared to last year. The company also reported more than 70% of the daily Snapchat audience plays with or views a Lens every day.
10. 70% of 13-Year-Old To 34 Year-Olds In The U.S. View Premium Mobile Video Ads On A Monthly Basis.
Snapchat reported in 2019 that its app reaches 70% of the total 13-year-old to 34-year-old U.S. population with premium mobile video ads on a monthly basis.
June 2, 2016 By Mediakix Team