What Is An Influencer Marketing Agency?
For the latest authoritative marketing news, trends, and stats on social media stars and influencer marketing,subscribe to our industry digest newsletter!
Defining The Influencer Marketing Agency
As traditional advertising outlets like television and print become less effective (due to declining viewership and readership) and more consumers turn to social media channels like Instagram, YouTube, and Snapchat for entertainment, news, and information (especially for advice regarding purchasing decisions), influencer marketing offers brands a way to target consumers by leveraging the large, engaged audiences of the world's top social media influencers. For companies interested in launching an influencer marketing campaign, influencer marketing agencies play a vital role in the process by ideating, strategizing, executing, managing, and measuring the success of influencer marketing campaigns to the benefit of brands, influencers, and consumers.
What Does An Influencer Marketing Agency Do?
At the core, influencer marketing agencies strategize, execute, and manage marketing and advertising campaigns with social media influencers. Influencer marketing is advertising for brands with top social media influencers. This type of paid advertising is effective for branding-based and direct-response initiatives, and can take the form of paid sponsorships, product placement, and sponsored content across all social media channels (YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, blogs, et. al.).
Because influencer marketing agencies maintain working relationships with top social media stars (YouTubers, Instagrammers, Snapchatters, Viners, vloggers, and bloggers) and have experience developing and implementing different types of influencer marketing campaigns, these agencies can provide valuable advice and help brands determine which influencer(s) to partner with, what platform(s) to distribute their content on, and how to best develop their unique marketing strategy (or combination of strategies). The five different types of influencer marketing campaigns influencer marketing agencies frequently develop, implement, promote, and refine include:
- 1. Product Placements. This type of campaign involves integrating a company's product, service, or logo into a social media influencer's photo, video, blog post, or Snapchat Story.
- 2. Contest, Giveaways, & Sweepstakes. A campaign which inspires user engagement by collaborating with a social media star to promote an exciting contest or giveaway.
- 3. Theme/Hashtag Campaigns. For this type of campaign, the digital influencer is asked to develop content around a central theme or hashtag, often asking their followers to use the hashtag as well.
- 4. Creative Influencer Campaigns. Similar to a thematic or hashtag campaign, creative campaigns give social media influencers the freedom to create content that reflects the brand's message or theme.
- 5. Campaigns To Build Social Followers. The type of campaign is designed to increase the number of followers on a brand's social media channel. (See our Snapchat Takeover article.)
For more information on the five most popular types of influencer marketing campaigns, see our in-depth explainer article here.
How Is An Influencer Marketing Agency Different Than Other Agencies?
While many social media marketing, digital, creative, or PR agencies may offer influencer marketing services as part of a comprehensive marketing strategy, only dedicated influencer marketing agencies are focused solely on (and thus have expertise in) marketing with social media influencers. Several different influencer marketing platforms, types of software, and tools also exist that help brands connect with social media stars, but unless brands understand the nuances of influencer marketing, uninitiated marketers may have difficulty utilizing these tools as effectively as possible.
Why Brands Work With Top Influencer Marketing Agencies
Software that helps brands identify influencers and influencer marketing platforms like FameBit can all be useful when used as part of a larger influencer marketing strategy. As software, these tools have shortcomings and limitations. To help brands achieve campaign success and reach their predetermined marketing goals, a full-service influencer marketing agency typically has:
- Identified high-performing influencers with consistent track records of creating successful social media marketing campaigns.
- Developed a relationship with and can provide access to the world's top social media influencers.
- Gained expertise on maximizing campaigns across multiple platforms (the best influencer marketing agencies have experience running successful campaigns across Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat, Facebook, blogs, and more).
- Experience creating campaigns across all or multiple advertiser categories (i.e consumer packaged goods, automotive, technology, fashion, subscription services, gaming, home & garden, and more).
Also See Our Posts On:
What Is Influencer Marketing?
How To Succeed With Your First Influencer Marketing Campaign
Developing A Successful Influencer Marketing Strategy
The 5 Different Types Of Influencer Marketing Campaigns
April 5, 2016 By Mediakix Team