Ad Blocking Statistics: What Marketers Need To Know

Ad Blocking Statistics Marketers Need To Know

via PageFair and Adobe's 2015 Ad Blocking report here. For the latest authoritative marketing news, trends, and stats on social media stars, subscribe to our industry digest newsletter!

The Ad Blocking Statistics Marketers Need To Know

In September, Apple released a new iOS with built-in ad blocking technologies. Since then, advertising and marketing news has been awash with talk of ad blocking. The practice of ad blocking is growing in popularity and, certainly, widespread usage will pose a challenge to publishers who rely on ads to fund free content and to brands who purchase exposure.

But the industry has already begun to adjust and, as discourse continues, inventive new ways to overcome these challenges are bound to be developed. For now, it's essential for marketers to stay engaged and aware of the facts surrounding the issue of ad blocking.

Check out our article for all the ad blocking statistics marketers need to know:

Ad Blocking Statistics Americans Using Ad Block In United States Growth

Here are the ad blocking stats you should know:

  • 45 million Americans utilize ad blockers. (Fortune)
  • 80% of ad blocking software users report hearing about the technology through word-of-mouth. The remaining 20% cite browser extension stores as the place where they heard about ad-blocking. (PageFair)
  • Between 2014 and 2015, ad blocking software increased in global popularity by 41% -- bumping the total number of ad-block users to 198 million. The number of Americans using ad blocking software has increased to 45 million, up 48% over the course of a year. Similarly, in Europe, ad blocking grew 36% bringing the number of European ad-blockers up to 77 million. (PageFair)
  • In the United States, $5.8B of ad revenue was lost to ad-blockers in 2014. That number is expected to jump to $10.7B in 2015, and $20.3B in 2016. (PageFair)

Ad Blocking Statistics Revenue Lost Cost Of Blocking Ads

  • The amount of global ad revenue lost in 2015 is estimated to be upwards of $21.8B. Pagefair projects $41.4B of revenue losses from ad-blockers in 2016. (PageFair)
  • 52% of the mobile browsing market and 19% of the total web-browsing space is dominated by Apple's mobile Safari. With the release of built-in ad-blocking in iOS 9, Pagefair projects that ad-blocking among Safari uses will grow to the levels of Mozilla Firefox--the current browser of choice for most ad-block users. (PageFair)
  • Consumers don't hate all ads, they hate being forced to watch disruptive ads. (PageFair)
  • Based on a study by the IAB, ad-block users cite the following reasons for blocking ads: ads are interruptive (73%), ads are annoying (55%), ads slow down web browsing (54%), ads are irrelevant (46%), concerns about privacy issues surrounding targeted ads (31%). (eConsultancy)
  • $22B of ad revenues--roughly 14% of global budgets--have been lost to ad blockers so far in 2015. In the U.S. alone, revenue loss is estimated to be around $10.7B with predictions that the number will double in 2016. (MarketingLand)
  • According to eMarketer, the average American Internet user is worth more than $215 in annual digital ad revenue. Ad-blocking Internet users may be more valuable than average, though, since they tend to be savvy and frequent Internet consumers. (AdWeek)
  • Who uses ad blockers? At 63% usage, millennials are the heaviest users of ad blocking software. At 22% usage, men are twice as likely to block ads as women (9%). 34% of 18-24 year olds report blocking ads vs. only 19% of 25-34 year olds. (eConsultancy)
Also See Our Posts On:

Advertiser Alternatives To Ads

Poll: More Millennials Using Ad Blockers Than Ever

Native Advertising vs. Sponsored Content vs. Influencer Marketing 

November 17, 2015 By Evan

Contact us

Use the contact form below to send us an email

Learn More Find Out How We Can Create a Custom Campaign to Fit Your Needs

Mediakix builds custom influencer campaigns, and will help you reach your target audiences in innovative and effective ways.

Phone: 310-450-1999
Address: 137 Bay St., Unit 3 Santa Monica, CA 90405